Mental health is essential to wellness. It can also affect how people handle stress, trauma, and substance abuse. Unfortunately, stigmas around mental health keep many people from seeking treatment when necessary or understanding ways to improve their mental health at home. Mental health education and tips can help those in need improve their well-being and know when it’s time to seek professional mental health treatment.
Are you looking for mental health treatment in Massachusetts? NuLife Behavioral Health can help. Our mental health treatment center helps clients throughout Massachusetts with a wide range of outpatient options for mental healthcare and addiction. Call us now at 888.568.2057 to learn more about how NuLife can help you improve your mental health.
What Is Mental Health and Why Is It Important?
Mental health measures overall mental and emotional well-being. Every aspect of daily life affects mental health. Thoughts, behaviors, belief systems, memories, and actions are all affected by mental health and, in turn, can cause shifts in mental well-being. While some may think about the science behind mental health like the effects of chemicals in the brain on behaviors and thoughts, mental health is more holistic. Unfortunately, there are many things that impact mental health, including:
- Unprocessed trauma
- Co-occurring disorders
Co-occurring mood disorders are more common than most people think. Depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorder are increasingly common alongside substance use disorders. In fact, at least half of people living with addiction live with co-occurring mood disorders. Practicing at-home mental healthcare and seeking professional help when needed is essential for overall well-being.
How to Improve Your Mental Health at Home
While thoughts, feelings, and emotions change every moment, maintaining a base level of mental wellness is vital for overall health and quality of life. Here are some tips for improving mental health at home.
- Move your body: Exercise reduces stress, processes adrenaline and cortisol, lowers blood sugar, and releases chemicals like endorphins to make you feel better. Setting and meeting fitness goals can be a great way to see progress and maintain mental health.
- Focus on sleep hygiene: Sleep quality is directly connected to mental health. Reduce nightly screen time, limit caffeine and sugar, and focus on quality sleep for better mental health.
- Eat well: Balanced meals including supplemental vitamins can keep mental health in check. Low vitamin levels and imbalanced electrolytes can negatively affect mental health.
- Socialize: Meaningful social connections can boost mood and help someone ask others for help when necessary.
- Get outside: Sunlight and Vitamin D can reduce depression and boost mood. Get enough sun every day to help balance mood and sleep.
These are only a few ways to improve your mental health at home. Improving mental health and balancing mental healthcare are daily tasks just like other forms of personal hygiene. If you’re struggling, begin by tracking your mood, feelings, and thoughts in a journal to notice patterns alongside sleep, diet, and stress. Consider calling a professional, especially if you find yourself self-soothing with harmful behaviors or substances.
Find the Mental Health Treatment Program for You in Massachusetts Today
Mental health is always changing. Mood disorders are treatable and manageable. If you need support, NuLife Behavioral Health can help. Our mental health clinic is ready to support you with flexible outpatient programs. We help clients find the right mental health treatment they need, whether they’d benefit most from a primary mental health treatment program or a dual diagnosis program. Receive an assessment, diagnosis, and treatment all in our outpatient clinic. If you’re ready to learn more about how mental health treatment in Massachusetts can help you, call NuLife Behavioral Health now at 888.568.2057 to enroll today.